- Length5 Days
- Pre-requisiteGood health and the physical ability to safely carry out rigorous activities during “live” fire fighting exercises.
This is required by the STCW 2010 code for all mariners with safety or pollution control duties. Basic Training (Basic Safety Training) combines all four elements of basic safety into a 5-day program. Training may be taken individually depending on attendee's needs. These courses are designed for seafarers in order to provide immediate life-saving first aid until the arrival of first–aiders of greater training. This course is created to meet the standards of competency in elementary first aid, fire fighting, personal safety and personal survival.
If you are in need of one of the individual elements, please contact our admissions team for more information.
This course satisfies the following STCW 2010 and CFR training requirements:
46 CFR 11.302(a)(3),46 CFR 12.602(a)(3), 46 CFR 11.201(i)(1), 46 CFR 11.302(a)(2), 46 CFR 12.602(a)(2), 46 CFR 11.201(h)(2) [Basic only] 46 CFR 11.201(h)(3), 46 CFR 13.201(c)(3), 46 CFR 13.301(c)(3), 46 CFR 13.401(d), 46 CFR 13.501(c)(3), 46 CFR 11.302(a)(4), 46 CFR 12.602(a)(4), 46 CFR 11.302(a)(1), 46 CFR 12.602(a)(1)
46 CFR 11.205 (l) (4) Formerly 10.205(i)(4)
- 46 CFR 11.202 (b) (1) .Formerly 10.202(b)(1)
- 46 CFR 11.202(b)(2) Formerly 10.202 (b)(2)
- 46 CFR 11.202(b)(3) Formerly 10.202 (b)(3)
- 46 CFR 11.205(d) Formerly 10.205 (d)
- 46 CFR 11.205(e)(l)(ii) Formerly 10.205 (e)(i)(ii)
- 46 CFR 11.205(e)(2)(iii) Formerly 10.205 (e)(2)(iii)
- 46 CFR 11.401(g)(1) Formerly 10.401 (g)(1)
- 46 CFR 13.201(e)
- 46 CFR 13.301(e)
- 46 CFR 13.401(e)
- 46 CFR 13.501(e)
Please note for the PST section: If the participant is unable to swim, tread water, or has a fear of water they will be dis-enrolled from the course until such time the participant can provide evidence of successfully completing swimming lessons. MITAGS will accept the equivalent of the YMCA's adult beginner (level 1). If the participant indicates at the beginning of or prior to the start of the BT-PST portion that they are unable to swim, tread water, or has a fear of water they will be refunded the price of the BT-PST portion. Note: NO refund will be provided if the participant does not indicate to the staff prior to the pool session.
Prerequisites- Ability to tread water for 1-minute without assistance. Must be 18 years of age.
Suggested Courses/Skills- See NVIC 08-14.
What You Will Learn
- Compliance with Emergency Procedures
- Safe Working Practices, Preventing Marine Pollution
- Effective Shipboard Communications, Effective Human Relations
- Types of Emergencies
- Emergency Communications, Emergency Equipment
- Hypothermia and Human Performance
- CPR and Emergency Medical Overview
- Proper use of PFDs, Immersion Suits, Liferaft, Abandon Ship Gear
- Basic Firefighting
- Understand the relationship of the fire tetrahedron to extinguish fire
- Extinguish a flammable liquid fire using various types of fire suppression agents
- Basic Patient transport
What You Should Bring
- Comfortable clothes
- Closed toed shoes
- Clothes that are suitable to wear to a fire fighting class
- Student must be clean shaven for the SCBA portion in order to create a good seal
There are no pre-requisites for this class, but this course includes strenuous physical activity. Mariners must be physcially fit and capable of moderate swimming exertion!