Basic Training Revalidation
- Length2 Days
- Pre-requisiteSuccessfully completed Basic Safety Training program (comprised of: Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting; Personal Safety and Social Responsibilities; Personal Survival Techniques; and First Aid and CPR) is a prerequisite for this course and have 1 year of sea time in the last 5 years.
The basic training revalidation course (MITPMI-718), previously known as a basic safety training (BST) revalidation course, is a sixteen-hour course. It provides you with a refresher of basic maritime personal survival and fire prevention/firefighting skills, which fulfills the 2010 Amendments to the Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) Code, as amended, training requirements as listed in CG-CVC Policy Letter No. 12-07.
If you complete this STCW revalidation course, you will satisfy the minimum standard of competence in personal survival techniques and fire prevention and firefighting of Table A-VI/1-1 and Table A-VI/1-2 of the STCW Code, as amended. You must, however, have been previously certified per Section VI/1 of the STCW Code, as amended, and present evidence of one year of service within the past five years to the United States Coast Guard (USCG).
STCW Renewal Requirements
Successful revalidation of your STCW certificate starts by complying with USCG STCW renewal requirements, which include verification of your U.S. citizenship, medical certificate and Merchant Marine Licensing and Documentation (MMLD), as well as several other factors, depending on your vessel.
BT Revalidation Class Requirements
As well as providing proof of your service as a mariner, you must also meet the following requirements to take part in BT revalidation classes:
- General good health
- Physical ability to safely carry out rigorous activities during “live” firefighting exercises
- Clean-shaven appearance to comply with fire-field safety rules
Each attendee will be required to complete a screening questionnaire before beginning the STCW basic training revalidation course.
Location of BT Revalidation Classes
We host our two-day BT revalidation classes at our state-of-the-art campus in Linthicum Heights, MD. The Maryland campus is less than five miles from the Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI). We also maintain a three-star hotel, and there are complimentary shuttles to Baltimore Light Rail, BWI Amtrack Rail.
Registration for STCW Basic Training Revalidation Course
We maintain a streamlined registration process for our STCW basic training revalidation course. Choose your course date, add it to your cart and create your account. Following your account set up, you can provide payment to cover the cost of your BT revalidation class. If you need assistance, our team in Maryland is ready to help.
What You Will Learn
The student who completes the STCW revalidation course will understand the use of firefighting equipment, SCBA, survival craft and other equipment normally carried aboard U.S. commercial vessels. You will also know how to react properly during maritime emergency situations and take appropriate measures to enhance your survival, as well as your shipmates and ship.
- Know and demonstrate donning and using an immersion suit
- Understand and demonstrate safely jumping from a height into the water
- Know and demonstrate righting an inverted liferaft while wearing a lifejacket
- Demonstrate swimming while wearing a lifejacket
- Demonstrate keeping afloat without wearing a lifejacket
- Understand and show the use of portable fire extinguishers
- Know and demonstrate how to extinguish small fires
- Understand and show how to extinguish extensive fires with water
- Know and illustrate the extinguishing of a fire in a simulated engine room
- Understand and demonstrate extinguishing oil fire with fog applicator and spray nozzles, dry chemical powder, or foam applicators
What You Should Bring
Prepare for your BT revalidation classes by arriving with the following:
- Comfortable clothing
- Clothing that can be worn into the pool in addition to a swimsuit
- Clothes that are suitable for firefighting class
- Closed toed shoes
- Students to be clean-shaven in order to ensure a proper seal with the self-contained breathing apparatus
Explore our class dates below to register for a MITAGS BT revalidation course in Maryland.
To take the Basic Safety Training Revalidation Course, you need to have completed the full mariner Basic Safety Program in the past. In addition, you need to meet all the requirements for STCW certification and have spent at least 360 days in service aboard a commercial vessel in the last five years.
As long as you meet these requirements, we’ll be happy to work with you so you can renew your mariner Basic Safety credentials.
When you arrive at our basic safety training revalidation, we ask that you bring a few materials that you will need during the course. These will help you prepare for and take part in activities and assessments. These required materials include:
- A swimsuit
- Closed-toed shoes
- Water-friendly clothes
- Clothes you can wear for firefighting class
We also require all our students to be clean-shaven when they arrive for the class so that they can stay safe as they use the self-contained breathing apparatus.
STCW Requirements Outside the United States
Even if you are from outside the United States, there are many cases in which you can still take the Basic Safety Training Revalidation Course. Anyone with the necessary certification and sea time can sign up for this training session. However, make sure to check with your agency first so that you know whether or not they will accept the credentials.
Some maritime agencies from other countries may have different requirements for safety training and revalidation courses. Make the most of your time and expenses by ensuring that the course you take will provide you with the credentials you need to move forward.