Basic Training Refresher
- Length3 Days
Note: Participants in this program, will be required to participate in rigorous physical activity which will include, but is not limited to, the following activities:
Jumping into pool from height of approximately one meter.
Swimming a distance of approximately 20 feet while wearing a PFD or immersion suit.
Staying afloat for approximately 1 minute without the use of a PFD or similar aid.
Deploying and entering a life raft and righting a capsized life raft while wearing a PFD or immersion suit.
Conducting search & rescue of simulated personnel casualties weighing approximately 150 pounds from an enclosed space-smoke/fire environment while wearing breathing apparatus and protective clothing.
Extinguishing fires with and without the aid of breathing apparatus. This will include moving quickly and climbing up and down ladders while holding fire fighting equipment such as heavy hoses.
Bending, stooping, lifting, and turning real or simulated patients.
Performing cardio-pulmonary resuscitation on a mannequin.
The basic training refresher course, previously called a basic safety training (BST) refresher course, is a 23-hour class designed to provide you with a refresher of basic maritime personal survival techniques. It also reviews personal social and safety responsibilities, first aid, and fire prevention and firefighting skills, which fulfills the 2010 Amendments to the Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) Code, as amended.
This STCW refresher course is for mariners who do not have one year of sea time within the last five years.
Prerequisites- Basic Training Course and the ability to tread water for 1-minute without assistance.
Suggested Courses/Skill- See NVIC 08-14.
Our experienced instructors also recommend familiarizing yourself with Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circulars (NVIC) 08-14, which details the guidelines for STCW qualifications.
Requirements Satisfied by the BT Refresher Course
The BT refresher course offered at MITAGS-PMI satisfies the following NVIC and Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) requirements:
- Section A-VI/1
- 46 CFR 11.302(e)
- 46 CFR 12.602(e)
- NVIC 08-14 National Assessment Guidelines
It also meets the continued competency requirements for STCW Basic Training in STCW, as amended in 2010.
Location of Your Basic Safety Training Refresher Class
We host our basic safety training refresher class at our campus in Linthicum Heights, MD. If you are traveling from out of state, the facility is less than five miles from the Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI). It is also only 15 minutes from the Port of Baltimore. The state-of-the-art facility features a three-star equivalent hotel, plus a fitness room, swimming pool and medical lab.
Note West Coast Campus Only: The schedule below may reflect more than three days. To find out the exact three day schedule please contact admissions. Generally, classes will not occur on the weekend.
What You Will Learn
When you complete your STCW refresher course, you will understand the use of firefighting equipment, SCBA, survival craft and other equipment normally carried aboard U.S. commercial vessels. You will also know how to react properly during maritime emergency situations and take appropriate measures to enhance your survival, that of shipmates, and your vessel.
Attendees will demonstrate the following:
- Importance of emergency procedures, accident prevention, training, and drills to prevent and/or minimize incidents, emergencies, and pollution
- Effective communications that improve human relationships onboard
- Immediate life-saving first aid and CPR
- Donning and use an immersion suit
- Safe jumping from a height into the water
- Righting an inverted liferaft while wearing a lifejacket
- Swimming while wearing a lifejacket
- Keeping afloat without wearing a lifejacket
- Proper donning and use of firefighting PPE to include normal and emergency use of SCBA
- Proper changing of SCBA bottle
- Using portable fire extinguishers
- Extinguishing small fires
- Extinguishing extensive fires with water
- Hose Team Leadership for extinguishing of a simulated extensive fire
- Proper and thorough search to rescue an adult-sized mannequin
How to Register for Your STCW Refresher Course
We provide a seamless registration process for STCW refresher courses. Choose your preferred session, add it to your virtual card and then complete the account creation process. Afterward, you can provide payment for your BT refresher course's cost and make plans for visiting and staying at our campus in Linthicum Heights, MD. If you have questions, please contact our team.
What You Should Bring
Before you arrive at your BT refresher course, make sure you pack or bring the following items:
- Comfortable clothing
- Clothing that can be worn into the pool in addition to a swimsuit
- Clothes that are suitable for fire fighting class
- Closed toed shoes
- Students to be clean shaven in order to ensure a proper seal with the self-contained breathing apparatus
Available Dates - BALTIMORE
Available Dates - SEATTLE
No available course sessions at this time. Please check back at a later date.