Advanced Fire Fighting Revalidation
- Length1 Days
- Pre-requisiteOne year of sea time in the last five years.
The one-day (eight-hour) advanced firefighting revalidation course, also known as an AFF revalidation course, is designed to meet the training and assessment requirements of personnel who will command firefighting efforts on board the vessel.
The advanced firefighting revalidation class complies with the assessment criteria of the 2010 Amendments to the Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) Code, as outlined in Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circulars (NVIC) 09-14. This course aims to assess advanced firefighting knowledge and understanding while providing you with practical exercises for applying and demonstrating your firefighting skills and systems.
View the available course dates
Prerequisite: A successfully completed USCG approved Advanced Firefighting course.
Advanced Firefighting Revalidation Course Requirements
Our advanced firefighting revalidation course requires the successful completion of an advanced firefighting course approved by the United States Coast Guard (USCG). Following the end of your advanced firefighting revalidation class, you will need to provide the USCG with several documents, including documentation that confirms you have completed one year of sea service within the last five years.
Additional USCG requirements include:
- U.S. citizenship
- Merchant Marine Licensing and Documentation (MMLD)
- Medical certificate
To satisfy the Revalidation component of the course approval, mariners must be able to present to the Coast Guard evidence of one year of sea service within the last five years.
Location of Advanced Firefighting Class
We deliver our advanced firefighting class in Washington and Maryland. Our Seattle, WA location is a convenient 20-minute drive from the Seattle Tacoma (SEA-TAC) International Airport and offers complimentary parking as well as state-of-the-art simulators. At our Baltimore, MD campus, we are a short commute from the Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) and feature many of the same technologies as our Washington hub.
Advanced Firefighting Revalidation Registration
To join a class for advanced firefighting revalidation in Maryland or Washington, select the course date you are interested in and add it to your cart. Before checking out, create an online account for convenient access to your payment history and course information. Following payment for the cost of your advanced firefighting revalidation course, you will be set to attend the class.
What You Will Learn
During your advanced firefighting revalidation course, you will demonstrate knowledge and skill in command and control procedures related to the management of shipboard firefighting through pre-fire planning, inspections, organization, tactics, firefighting systems and crew training. As a result, there are several expected learning outcomes for participants.
Following our U.S. Coast Guard-approved advanced firefighting revalidation course, you will be able to accomplish the following:
- Detail the importance of contingency planning and create a pre-fire plan.
- Calculate and operationally utilize firefighting water flow and stability data.
- Explain and demonstrate inspection and service requirements for a variety of firefighting PPE, equipment, and fixed systems.
- Explain and demonstrate, where appropriate, the operation/activation of a variety of firefighting PPE, equipment and fixed systems.
- Utilize basic post-fire investigation knowledge to identify point(s) of origin and causation.
- Evaluate post-fire investigation information and recommend at least one effective prevention, damage mitigating or tactical countermeasure.
- Prepare, execute, and evaluate a crew fire drill.
- Conduct, command and control of firefighting strategy/tactics involving dangerous goods.