Personal Survival Techniques
- Length2 Days
- Pre-requisiteThere are no entry requirements other than general good health, however all students must be in good physical condition and capable of moderate swimming exertion.
This course (MITPMI-363) is designed to provide mariners with basic maritime personal survival techniques. The attendee, who successfully completes this course will understand the use of survival craft, will know how to react properly during maritime emergencies, and will know what measures to take to enhance his/her personal survival and that of his/her shipmates. This course is also part of the Basic Training course. This module is one of the four elements (first aid and CPR, fire-fighting, personal survival, personal and social responsibility) necessary for STCW 2010 Basic Training (BT). BT is required for all mariners with safety or emergency duties sailing on vessels 200 GRT tons or greater on near coastal or ocean voyages.
This course satisfies the following STCW 2010 and CFR training requirements
- STCW 2010 Section A-VI/1, Table A-VI/1-1.
- 46 CFR 11.302 (a)(1) and 46 CFR 12.602(a)(1).
- NVIC 08-14 Tasks: 1.1.A, 1.2.A, 1.3.A, 1.3.B, 1.3.C, 1.4.A, 1.5.A, 1.6.A, 1.7.A, 1.8.A, 1.9.A, 1.10.A, 1.11.A, 1.12.A, 1.12.B, 1.13.A, 1.14.A, 1.14.B, 1.14.C, 1.14.D, 1.14.E, 1.14.F, 1.14.G, 1.14.H, 1.14.I, 1.14.J, 1.14.K, 1.14.L, 1.14.M, and 1.14.N.
- NVIC 12-14 Task 19.1.A.
Prerequisites- There are no entry requirements other than general good health, however all students must be in good physical condition and capable of moderate swimming exertion (Ability to tread Water for 1-minute without assisstance).
If the participant is unable to swim, tread water, or has a fear of water they will be dis-enrolled from the course until such time the participant can provide evidence of successfully completing swimming lessons. MITAGS will accept the equivalent of the YMCA's adult beginner (level 1). If the participant indicates at the beginning of or prior to the start of the BT-PST portion that they are unable to swim, tread water, or has a fear of water they will be refunded the price of the BT-PST portion. Note: NO refund will be provided if the participant does not indicate to the staff prior to the pool session.
Suggested Courses/Skill- See NVIC 08-14.
What You Will Learn
The student who successfully completes this course will understand the use of survival craft and equipment normally carried aboard U.S. commercial vessels.
- to react properly during maritime emergency situations
- appropriate measures to enhance his/her own survival and that of shipmates.
What You Should Bring
- Attendees will need a swimsuit
- Comfortable clothing
- Clothing that can be worn into the pool in addition to a swimsuit