Grand River Navigation Apprenticeship Program
Campus Location: MITAGS-East (Linthicum Heights, Maryland)
Partner Company Providing Onboard Training: Grand River Navigation
Program Start Date: January 8, 2024
Application Deadline: October 15, 2023
License Pathway: Unlimited Tonnage Mate – Inland and Great Lakes
Tuition Cost: $34,000 (total cost over two years, does not include lodging)
This program is approved by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs and honors the Post 9/11 GI Bill® for eligible veterans and their dependents. Email a MITAGS Advisor at [email protected] with questions.
MITAGS’ East Coast Campus in Linthicum Heights, Maryland as well as our union partner, the International Organization of Masters, Mates, and Pilots are pleased to announce a new offering of our Maritime Apprenticeship Program in partnership with Grand River Navigation.
We are looking for passionate, motivated individuals who have interest in working and training on a variety of different vessels on the Great Lakes.
View the course schedule here.
About Grand River Navigation
Grand River Navigation is home to the largest fleet operating on the Great Lakes today, transporting dry bulk commodities such as limestone, coal, iron, ore, salt and grain with bulk carriers and articulated tug and barge units. Read more about Grand River Navigation.
Requirements for full admission to all of MAP’s Mate Training Programs are:
- Minimum age of 19
- High School diploma or equivalency (Transcripts may be substituted if they confirm graduation.)
- Basic Math Entrance Exam (completed online, following your initial program interview)
- Eligible for a U.S. Passport (U.S. citizenship is required for this program)
- Transportation Worker’s Identification Card (TWIC)*
- USCG Issued Merchant Mariner Credential*
- USCG Issued Medical Certificate*
- Ability to pass the Partner Company’s Physical Exam, when applicable
* Must have acquired or have application in process no later than November 2023.
Questions about the program prior to submitting an application?
Email a MITAGS Advisor at [email protected].
If you are ready to take that next step, please email the following to [email protected]:
- Updated resume
- Cover letter addressed to Maritime Apprenticeship Programs
- Letter of professional reference (from an employer)
Interested in Applying?
Email [email protected] with your updated resume, cover letter, and letter of reference from an employer! Applications for this program will be accepted no later than October 15, 2023.
Limited seats are available, so apply now! Interviews will be scheduled upon receipt of your application materials on a first-come, first-served basis, and will be ongoing through the middle of November. This program is set to begin on January 8, 2024.