Vessel Security Officer
- Length3 Days
- Pre-requisiteProper ID
This three-day, 21-hour ship security officer course (MITAGS-573) of instruction is designed to give you the proficiency required for personnel who are assigned responsibilities as Vessel Security Officer (VSO).
Our vessel security training will provide you with the tools to perform your duties, per the requirements of the Maritime Transportation Security Act of 2002. This course complies with the Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW) Code Chapter VI, Section A-VI/5. A candidate completing this course should be able to undertake the duties and responsibilities of a designated Vessel Security Officer.
What You Will Learn
As a student of our vessel security officer training course, you can expect to learn how to complete the following tasks:
- Regularly inspecting the vessel to ensure adherence to security measures
- Overseeing maintenance and supervision of the implementation of the VSP, and any amendments to the VSP
- Managing the coordination and handling of cargo and vessel stores and bunkers in compliance with this part
- Proposing modifications to the VSP to the Company Security Officer (CSO)
- Ensuring that any problems identified during audits or inspections are reported to the CSO, and promptly implement any corrective actions
- Assuring security awareness and vigilance on board the vessel
- Implementing adequate security training for vessel personnel
- Guaranteeing the reporting and recording of all security incidents
- Ensuring the coordinated implementation of the VSP with the CSO and the relevant Facility Security Officer, when applicable
- Ensuring security equipment is properly operated, tested, calibrated, and maintained
- Ensuring consistency between security requirements and the proper treatment of vessel personnel affected by those requirements
- Confirming TWIC programs are in place and implemented appropriately
Begin the application process for your ship security officer certificate by exploring our available vessel security training courses.
Ship Security Officer Class Requirements
At MITAGS-PMI, requirements for our ship security officer class includes presenting a valid form of one of the following types of photo identification:
- U.S. Merchant Mariner credential issued after Feb 3, 2003
- STCW 95 Certificate with embedded photograph
- U.S. Passport
- Foreign Passport
- U.S. Armed Forces identification card
- Photo Identification cards issued by U.S. federal, state or local government agencies
- Driver license with a photo of the driver issued by a U.S. possession or commonwealth
We will retain a copy of your provided I.D. for our records.
Satisfied Requirements of Vessel Security Training Courses
This vessel security training course satisfies the following STCW95 and Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) training requirements:
- Regulations 13.1 (Part B) and 13.2 (Part A and B) of the International Ship and Port Facility Security (ISPS) Code
- IMO Model Course 3.19 Ship Security Officer (2003 edition)
- Model Course MTSA 08-01, Vessel Security Officer (April 2008 edition)
- STCW Convention 1978, as amended, Regulation VI/5
By meeting the above standards, you can apply for your ship security officer certificate from the United States Coast Guard (USCG) with success.
Where to Take Your Vessel Security Training
We provide vessel security training in Maryland at our state-of-the-art campus in Linthicum Heights, MD. The MITAGS-PMI facility is less than five miles from the Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) and offers complimentary shuttle service to BWI Amtrak Rail, as well as Baltimore Light Rail and local bus services. Our campus facilities feature advanced simulation technologies and trusted training software to deliver a realistic, hands-on experience.
Our knowledgeable team of instructors is available to teach our vessel security training at your company's headquarters or satellite location as well. We can also incorporate our ship security officer course into business-specific exercises, which benefits both your organization and your staff. Our team will coordinate with yours to choose an appropriate date and time for training.
How to Register for Vessel Security Training in Maryland
If you are planning to register for vessel security training in Maryland, at our Linthicum Heights, MD location, follow these steps:
- Choose your preferred session.
- Add your selected session to your cart.
- Complete your account creation.
- Submit your payment.
The costs for our vessel security training are consistent across dates, providing you with flexibility in scheduling.
This course can be taught at your company location and / or combined with company specific training.
The modules in this course cover a variety of areas that you will need to understand and apply to practical situations as a maritime security officer. Some of these include:
- Ship security strategies and assessments
- Potential threats
- Scenarios and exercises
- Security policies and equipment
- The ISPS Code
- Security administration systems
- Individual security duties
While some trained maritime professionals need to have their certification renewed after a certain amount of time, mariners are rarely required to take ship security officer refresher courses. Currently, officers only need to receive training once to keep their certification.
If you’ve had vessel officer training in the past but feel you need a refresher, you can take our course as needed. However, your security license will remain valid without retraining.
Do I Need a Ship Security Officer Refresher Course?
While you can keep your validity as a security officer without regular retraining sessions, taking a refresher course can still prove valuable to you. This course teaches many important skills that security leaders need when they are aboard a vessel — skills that can help protect everyone on the vessel from potential threats and even save lives.
As a result, taking the time to refresh your knowledge and skills every once in a while can boost your confidence and improve your proficiency with security maintenance, awareness and equipment aboard your vessel. With this course, you’ll be better prepared to prevent and quickly respond to any threats that may arise.
Available Dates - BALTIMORE
Available Dates - SEATTLE
No available course sessions at this time. Please check back at a later date.