Radar Observer (Unlimited)
- Length5 Days
This Coast Guard approved course (MITAGS-399) is required for all officers who serve on vessels equipped with RADAR. Attendees will develop the skills needed for risk assessment, collision avoidance, and navigation. Trainees use commercial RADAR equipment with land masses, environmental effects and vessel returns. The curriculum exceeds USCG and IMO requirements for radar and ARPA training. “Hands-on” simulation is conducted in the Institute’s four-ship interactive radar simulator. This course satisfies the following Tasks of NVIC NVIC 12-14 (Ch 4) and 02-18 (Ch 1) Tasks 1.4.A, 1.4.B, 2.1.D, 2.1.E, 2.1.F, 2.1.G, 3.2.A, 3.2.B, 3.3.A, and 3.4 and NVIC 13-14(Ch 3) Tasks 1.8.A and 1.8.B.
Suggested Courses/Skills- Knowledge of navigation is suggested for this maritime training course.
What You Will Learn
- Set Up and Maintaining Radar Displays
- Radar principles
- Factors That Affect Radar Performance and Accuracy
- Differentiating Between False and True Echoes
- Performing Transfer Radar Plotting Techniques and Maneuver the Vessel to Avoid Risk of Collision
- Obtaining a Position Fix Using Radar
- Utilizing Techniques Such as Parallel Indexing to Improve Situational Awareness
Applicants who have successfully completed this course will satisfy the requirements of an endorsement for Radar Observer (Unlimited) and the radar training requirements for certification as Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch pm vessels of 500 or more gross tonnage (ITC). This Coast Guard approved course satisfies the following STCW and CFR requirements:
- 46 CFR 11.480(d) - Formerly 46 CFR 10.480
Applicants who have successfully completed this course need not present completed “Control Sheets” for these assessments in application for STCW certification.
What You Should Bring
- Scientific Calculator
- All practical navigation equipment
Available Dates - BALTIMORE
Available Dates - SEATTLE
No available course sessions at this time. Please check back at a later date.