Medical Care Provider
- Length5 Days
This five-day medical care provider course (MITPMI-310) is for seafarers responsible for administering immediate first aid to the ship’s personnel, as well as assisting the Ship’s Medical Person-in-Charge with providing definitive medical care. Attendees will learn and develop skills needed to recognize and help in medical emergencies, promote the methods required to maintain the well-being and safety of ship's personnel, conduct patient assessments and other essential ship board medical procedures.
This course is established using guidelines provided by the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers Code (STCW).
Maritime Medical Care Provider Course Requirements
At MITAGS-PMI, we require all applicants to complete an STCW basic first aid course with success. If you are aiming for an Officer in Charge of a Navigational Watch (OICNW) Qualification, you will need to adhere to select guidelines of the Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circulars (NVIC), specifically 12-14 and 13-14, which mandate training as a medical first aid provider. The United States Coast Guard (USCG) must approve the medical care provider course you take.
Requirements Satisfied by STCW Medical Care Courses
This course satisfies the following STCW and CFR medical training requirements:
- Section A-VI/1, and Table A-VI/1-3 - BST Elementary First Aid.
- Section A-VI/4 and Table A-VI/4-1 Medical Care Provider.
- The Elementary First Aid training requirements of 46 CFR 11.302(a)(3), 46 CFR 12.602(a)(3), and the First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) training requirements of 46 CFR 11.201(i)(1)
- The competency requirements of 46 CFR 12.619(a)(2)
- The Medical First-Aid Provider training requirements of 46 CFR 11.309(a)(4)(i); 46 CFR 11.317(a)(3)(i); 46 CFR 11.319(a)(4)(i); 46 CFR 11.329(a)(4)(i); 46 CFR 11.335(a)(3)(i); and 46 CFR 12.619(a)(1)
- The following Tasks of NVIC 12-14: 16.1.A and 19.3.A
Prerequisites- STCW- Basic First Aid
Suggested Courses/Skills- See NVIC 12-14 & 13-14. Mandatory for OICNW Qualification after 12/31/2017.
Locations for USCG Medical Care Provider Classes
At MITAGS-PMI, we teach our USCG medical care provider class at both our Maryland and our Washington campuses. The cost for the courses does not vary by location, offering you flexibility in where you choose to take your maritime medical care provider course. Both campuses are also in close proximity to nearby major airports, Baltimore-Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI) and Seattle Tacoma (SEA-TAC) International Airport.
How to Register for an STCW Medical Care Course in Washington or Maryland
If you are signing up for an STCW medical care course in Washington or Maryland, follow these steps:
- Pick your session date.
- Add your class to your cart.
- Make your MITAGS-PMI account.
- Provide your preferred payment method.
- Complete your checkout and registration.
If you require assistance with registration, our knowledgeable team can help.
What You Will Learn
As a student of our STCW medical care course, you can expect to learn the following from your instructors, as well as through hands-on training sessions:
- Using Emergency Medical Services
- Maintaining the Well-Being and Safety of the Care Provider
- Recognizing and Managing Respiratory Emergencies
- Conducting Patient Assessment
- Communicating with Radio Medical Advisory Services
- Managing Medical and Behavioral Emergencies including the use of Basic Life Support and Principles of Pharmacology
- Delivering Immediate Response to Bleeding, Burns, Effects of Cold, Musclo-Skeletal and Spinal Injuries
- Administering CPR and AED
What You Should Bring
Before your STCW medical care provider course, make sure you pack the following:
- Comfortable clothes (for giving CPR)
- Closed-toed shoes with socks
Browse our available STCW medical care courses in Washington and Maryland to qualify for your seafaring role.
Available Dates - BALTIMORE
Available Dates - SEATTLE
No available course sessions at this time. Please check back at a later date.