Cargo Handling & Stowage (Operational Level)
- Length5 Days
- Pre-requisiteBasic Construction and Stability (CONSTB) is required.
This course (MITPMI-100) is required for all Able Bodied Seamen upgrading to 3rd/2nd Mate. It prepares the student for undertaking deck watch duties while loading and discharging cargo in port and care of cargo in transit. The goal of this 35-hour training course, “Cargo Handling & Stowage”, is to provide trainees with knowledge, understanding and proficiency in monitoring the loading, stowage, securing and unloading of cargoes. It includes procedures for safe entry into confined spaces and handling dangerous goods but does not include specialized cargo operations. (E.g. LNG/LPG or chemical tanker operations)
This course is designed to satisfy the following STCW and CFR training requirements:
- Cargo Handling training requirements for certification as OICNW on vessels of 500 or more gross tonnage (ITC)
- NVIC 12-14 Tasks:
- 46 CFR 11.309(a)(4)(x)
Prerequisites- Ship Construction & Stability (MITPMI-449).
Suggested Courses/Skills- See NVIC 12-14 & 13-14.
What You Will Learn
- Inspection and Preparation of Holds
- Segregation of Cargo
- Securing Cargo
- Deck Cargo
- Refrigerated Cargo
- Container Ships
- Ro-Ro Ships
- Cargo Handling Equipment & Safety
- Dangerous, Hazardous and Harmful Cargo
- Oil Tankers
- Bulk Carriers
- Confined Space Entry
- Stowage and Stability Calculations
Available Dates - BALTIMORE
Available Dates - SEATTLE
No available course sessions at this time. Please check back at a later date.