ARPA (Automatic Radar Plotting Aids)
- Length4 Days
- Pre-requisiteRadar Observer Unlimited
This course (MITPMI-37) is required for all officers who serve on vessels equipped with ARPA. Attendees will learn collision avoidance and navigation. Trainees use commercial ARPA equipment with landmasses, environmental effects and vessel returns. The curriculum exceeds IMO requirements. “Hands-on” simulation is conducted on Raytheon, Sperry, and Furuno ARPAs. The successful completion of the course entitles attendees to a USCG/STCW ARPA certificate.
Prerequisite- Radar Observer Unlimited.
Suggested Courses/Skills- Required on vessels equipped with ARPA. See NVIC 10-14, 11-14 and 12-14.
This course satisfies the following STCW 2010 and CFR requirements:
- 46 CFR 11.305(a)(3)(vi); 46 CFR 11.307(a)(3)(vi); 46 CFR 11.309(a)(4)(xiv); 46 CFR 11.311(a)(3)(viii); 46 CFR 11.313(a)(3)(viii); 46 CFR 11.315(a)(3)(v); 46 CFR 11.317(a)(3)(vii); 46 CFR 11.319(a)(4)(viii); and 46 CFR 11.321(a)(3)(vii)
- STCW 2010 Table A-II/1 Code
- NVIC 10-14 Task 5.1.A
- NVIC 12-14 Tasks 3.5.A, 3.6.A, 3.6.B, 3.6.C, 3.6.D, 3.6.E, 3.6.F, 3.6.G, 3.6.H, 3.6.I, 3.6.J, 3.6.L, 3.6.M and 3.6.K
What You Will Learn
- Proficiency in Manual Radar Plotting
- The Principal ARPA Systems and the Inputs to the Systems
- Performance Standard, Limitations and Tracking Theory of the ARPA Tracking Facility
- Setting up and Maintenance of an ARPA Display
- Identifying and Evaluating Errors in Displayed ARPA Data
- Understanding and Applying COLREGS 1972 to the Use of Radar and ARPA
- Knowledge of ARPA Operation in Navigation and Collision Avoidance Environments
What You Should Bring
- Scientific Calculator
- All practical navigation equipment
Available Dates - BALTIMORE
Available Dates - SEATTLE
No available course sessions at this time. Please check back at a later date.