Advanced Cargo Operations/Cargo Handling & Stowage (Management Level)
- Length12 Days
- Pre-requisiteAn Advanced Stability (CMM-ADVSTB) Course
This course (MITAGS-14) is available for all 2nd Mates upgrading to Chief Mate/Master. It covers the practical and legal aspects of cargo operations and prepares prospective Chief Mates for their role in maintaining the vessel.
Week one of the Cargo Handling & Storage course includes information on cargo gear and cargo stress, cargo products, care of cargo during transit. This course also trains attendees in containership operations, RO/RO vessel operations, dangerous cargo regulations, grain rules and other information on dry bulk, or containerized cargos. Week two of the Cargo Handling & Storage course includes information on tankers and tanker operations, liquefied gas tanker operations, ships’ construction, dry-docking, and surveys.
Please note that evening course sessions will occur and the instructor will assign those specific dates at the beginning of class.
Prerequisite The MITAGS Advanced Stability (CMM-ADVSTB) must be taken and successfully passed before attending.
This course satisfies the following STCW 2010:
- The competencies within Table A-II/2 for the Function: Cargo Handling and Stowage of the STCW, as amended, and the following Tasks from NVIC 10-14: 11.1.A, 11.1.B, 11.4.A, 11.4.B, 11.4.C, 11.4.D, 11.5.A, 11.5.B, 11.5.C, 11.5.D, 11.5.E, 11.6.A, 11.6.B, 11.6.C, 11.6.D, 11.7.A, 11.8.B, 11.9.A, 12.1.A, 13.1.A, 14.1.C, 14.1.D, and 15.2.A.
What You Will Learn
Course Subjects - Dry Cargo Operations
- Load Line Regulations
- Requirements for Cargo Gear
- Cargo Gear Stresses
- Maintenance of Cargo Gear and Hatchcovers
- Procedures for Receiving, Tallying and Delivering Cargo
- Care of Cargo During Transit
- Loading, Stowage and Discharge of Heavy Weights
- Methods and Safeguards when Fumigating Holds
- Dangerous Cargoes
- The IMO Grain Rules
- Containerized Cargoes
- Timber Deck Cargoes
Course Subjects - Tanker Operations
- Introduction to Tanker Operations
- Oil Tankers
- Chemical Tankers
- Liquefied Gas Tankers
Course Subjects - Construction/Maintenance
- Watertight and Weathertight Doors
- Marine Coatings
What You Should Bring
- Scientific Calculator
Available Dates - BALTIMORE
Available Dates - SEATTLE
No available course sessions at this time. Please check back at a later date.