Small Arms (MITAGS)
- Length4 Days
- Pre-requisiteProspective students must never have been convicted of a felony or any crime of domestic violence
This 4-day course is designed to certify mariners to safely, responsibly, and effectively employ firearms in the performance of their duties and is IAW OPNAVINST 3591.1 Series Standards.
The mariner will be given instruction in and will have to qualify on:
- M9 service pistol
- M14 service rifle
- M500 service shotgun
This course is required annually for annual certification and annual sustainment.
Pre-requisites-Prospective students must never have been convicted of a felony or any crime of domestic violence. Each student will be required to sign and attest that the above is true. Students must meet the requirements of:
- DoD form 2760 Qualification to Possess Firearms and Ammunition
- MSC supplemental form to Dod 2760
- Medical restriction IAW OPNAVINST 3591.1 Series
Suggested Courses/Skills- MSC Required Course. Prospective students must never have been convicted of a felony or any crime of domestic violence.
Two days are spent on an outdoor range so students need to bring appropriate seasonal clothing and always consider rain gear.
What You Will Learn
- Small Arms Safety
- Fundamentals of Small Arms
- Fundamentals of Marksmanship
- Nomenclature of Ammunition
- Loading and unloading Weapons
- Malfunction clearing
- Low light and night light
- Shooting while moving
- Tactics and Shipboard Engagements
What You Should Bring
- Appropriate Seasonal Clothing
- Rain Gear
- Closed toed shoes
- Long pants
- Long sleeve shirts
- Brimmed hats