Medical Person In Charge Refresher
- Length5 Days
- Pre-requisiteMedical Person in Charge (10 day) course within the last five years or Medical Person in Charge Refresher course within the last five years.
The purpose of this five-day, forty-eight hour Medical Person-In-Charge Refresher Course is to review and reinforce medical knowledge and skills. The ship's medical officer should refresh his/her skills in order to provide quality medical assistance and advanced emergency medical care. The attendee will, within the past five years, have attended and successfully completed a USCG certificated Medical Person-In-Charge course that meets the STCW standards. This course meets the APL requirement for 5 year recurrent Medical Person-In-Charge refresher training for Licensed Deck Officers.
Please review the attached MED-PIC-REF Welcome Letter to familiarize yourself with the demands of this course.
Prerequisite: Students must have passed the USCG STCW MED-PIC course within five years of the requested MED-PIC-REF session to be permitted to enroll in this course. Attendees are urged to review study material prior to the start of class.
Suggested Courses/Skills- Not a USCG renewal requirement. May be required by your employer.
What You Will Learn
- Specific disease processes.
- Traumatic injuries, and stabilizing injuries.
- Performing physical assessment.
- Administering medications.
- Performing intravenous therapy.
- Caring for and closing wounds.
- Describing the techniques for urinary catheterization.
- Caring for ill crew members.
- Using and implementing medical advice via radio consultation.
What You Should Bring
- Comfortable clothing ( for giving CPR)
- Closed toed shoes with socks
Available Dates - BALTIMORE
Available Dates - SEATTLE
No available course sessions at this time. Please check back at a later date.