Electronic Chart Display Information System
- Length5 Days
The 40-hour Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS) course (MITPMI-179) is designed to enhance the safety of navigation by providing the knowledge and skills necessary to fully utilize ECDIS. The course incorporates live marine ECDIS equipment, networked with interactive blind bridge simulators. The ECDIS used is the Transas Marine NaviSailor software and meets IMO performance standards.
This course satisfies the following training requirements
- Table A-II/1 of the STCW Code
- Table A-II/2 of the STCW Code
- NVIC 10-14 and NVIC 11-14 tasks: 2.2.A and 6.1.A - 6.7.A
- NVIC 12-14 tasks: 1.4.C, 1.4.D, 1.5.A, 4.1.A, and 4.2.A.
- This course meets the standard of IMO Model Course 1.27 for generic training and meets Transas ECDIS type specific familiarization on those vessels equipped with ECDIS.
Prerequisites-Prior to taking this course, mariners must be certified in Terrestrial & coastal navigation (TCNAV-CO), or prior navigation experience as OICNW Master, and basic piloting and be skilled in intermediate computer operations.
Suggested Courses/Skills- See NVIC 02-14. Mariners will benefit from prior experience in collision avoidance on ARPA and Radar (strongly recommended), Ship Handling, Bridge Resource Management, and Chart Portfolio Management.
What You Will Learn
- Use, Installation and Correction of Electronic Charts
- Validity of Sensor Data (including radar overlay)
- Potential Errors of Interpretation
- Selecting Operation Settings and Alarms for Route Monitoring
- Navigational Calculations
- Route Planning and Scheduling
- Accessing Ship’s Log and Data Playback Functions
- ARPA, AIS and Trial Maneuver Functions
What You Should Bring
- Scientific Calculator