License Prep Original 3rd Mate
- Length26 Days
- Pre-requisiteCompletion of the MITAGS-PMI OICNW training is highly recommended.
This 15-day prep course offered at MITAGS is designed for able seafarers that have completed the required STCW training for "Officer In Charge of a Navigational Watch" (OICNW) and desire assistance in preparing for their USCG Third Mate Oceans or Near Coastal License Exams. The test week that follows is dependent upon each student's schedule and the REC's schedule.
Prerequisites-CG-718B Application submitted or USCG Approval Letter to Test.
Suggested Courses/Skills- Completion of the MITAGS-PMI OICNW training courses is highly recommended. Please consider scheduling your test immediately following the course with the REC.
The schedule generally follows TOC of Murphy Book #5 & Capn Joe’s list of Stability Problems
What You Will Learn
- Review of Rules of the Road
- Review of Latitude by Meridian Transit
- Review of Fire Fighting
- Review of Compass Error, Azimuths
- Review of Running Fix of Sun, Magnetism
- Review of Plane Sailing,Speed by RPM
- Review of Maritime law
- Review of Mercator Sailing,Aids to Navigation
- Review of Great Circle Sailing,Lat by Polaris
- Review of Stability, Ship Handling
- Review of Cargo handling
- Review of Chart Plot,Sunset/ Sunrise
- Review of Tides Currents, Weather
- Review of Pubs, Documents
- Review of Deck Safety
- Practice test/ Test Taking Skills
What You Should Bring
- Set of dividers
- Navigational triangles
- Non-programmable scientific calculator. (TI-30xa or similar)