Bridge Resource Management (35-Hour)
- Length5 Days
- Pre-requisiteA valid merchant mariner document issued by a Flag State
This course (MITPMI-84) is designed to assist professional mariners in gaining knowledge of BRM principles and proficiency through the practical application of those principles. Attendees gain instruction and discussion on the effective use of all available resources to enhance navigation safety. Emphasis is on the BRM behaviors necessary to achieve effective teamwork and how to minimize accidents caused by human error. The MITAGS Full-Mission Shiphandling Simulator is extensively used to apply techniques and behaviors learned in the classroom.
This course satisfies the following STCW 2010 and CFR training requirements:
- 46 CFR 11.309(a)(4)(vii); 46 CFR 11.319(a)(4)(vii); 46 CFR 11.321(a)(3)(iv); and Section A-II/1, Table A-II/1 of the STCW Code, as amended 2010.
- The leadership and team working skills requirements of 46 CFR 11.309(c)(1); 46 CFR 11.319(b)(1); 46 CFR 11.321(b)(1); and Section A-II/1, Table A-II/1 of the STCW Code, as amended 2010.
- NVIC 10-14 Tasks 1.1.A, 5.2.A, and 5.3.A
- NVIC 12-14 Tasks 2.3.C, 2.4.A, 2.7.A, 2.7.B, 2.7.C, 2.7.D, 2.7.E, 2.7.F, 2.7.G, 18.1.A, 18.2.A, 18.3.A, 18.4.A, and 18.5.A
- Section B-VIII/2, Part 3-1 of the STCW Code
Prerequisites- Students must already possess the following prior to attending: this course a valid license or document issued by a Flag State party to the international treaty; STCW ‘95, certifying competency as a rating forming part of a navigational watch. and a valid Merchant Mariner Document, MMD. See NVIC 11-14 & 12-14.
Suggested Courses/Skills- For STCW RIG to MATE, CM or Master 500GT or above. See NVIC 11-14 & 12-14.
What You Will Learn
- How to minimize human errors
- Leadership for safety
- Effective teamwork
- Effective Master/Pilot/Watch Officer relationship
- Effective communication
- How to obtain and maintain a high level of situational awareness
- How to detect errors and omissions and prevent error chains from developing
- Risk analysis
- Decision making
- Factors affecting human performance
Available Dates - BALTIMORE
Available Dates - SEATTLE
No available course sessions at this time. Please check back at a later date.