Automatic Identification and Electronic Chart Display Information Systems
- Length3 Days
- Pre-requisiteARPA and BRM for Pilots
The goal of this 3-day, twenty-one hour training course is to provide attendees with basic knowledge, understanding, and proficiency in Electronic Chart Display and Information Systems (ECDIS) and Automatic Identification Systems (AIS) as they relate to use by maritime pilots. The program has been designed using the guidelines provided in the International Maritime Organization's (IMO) Model Course 7.03 for ECDIS. The AIS portion of the course has been developed using manufacturers and government technical data. Practical applications ("hands-on" training) are provided through the use of MITAGS' and PMI's simulator systems.
Prerequisites-This is an advance level course; attendees should have previously completed ARPA, ECDIS, and Radar.
Suggested Courses/Skills- ARPA and BRM for Pilots.
What You Will Learn
- List ECDIS limitations
- Describe the legal aspects and responsibilities in the use of ECDIS
- Demonstrate basic functions of ECDIS
- Determine critical alarms and non critical alarms on ECDIS
- Explain the potential interpretation errors of display AIS information and take action to avoid
- Summarize how AIS works
- Detect incorrect AIS information when compared to ARPA information
- Manage the display of AIS information on an ECDIS