Title: FT Lead Instructor
Location: MITAGS West in Seattle, WA
Category: Full Time with full benefits
Starting Salary: $87,360.00
A Lead Instructor shall be responsible for presenting courses in the maritime field and providing quality classroom instruction to students. Lead Instructor shall ensure that the course content is current, consistent with the latest directives from regulatory authorities and best practices in the maritime industry. A Lead Instructor shall act as a Course Content Expert.
Reports to appropriate course Department Head.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- A Lead Instructor shall have all of the Duties and Responsibilities of an Instructor.
- Act as an Academic Area Content Expert.
- In conjunction with the relevant Department Head and Instructional Design Coordinator, a Lead Instructor shall assist in the development of curriculum and professional training.
- A Lead Instructor shall collaborate with colleagues to ensure courses meet the needs of students and standards set by the USCG, IMO, and or other regulatory authorities.
- Participates in professional development training, such as conferences and training.
- Shall brief Instructors of any changes to the course curriculum or content prior to Instructors teaching any course under the Lead Instructor’s purview.
- A Lead Instructor provide feedback to the Department Head upon the qualifications and effectiveness of Instructors teaching courses under the Lead Instructor’s purview.
- A Lead Instructor shall assist the Department Head and as appropriate, the Assistant Academic Director in sourcing and recommending qualified Instructors.
- A Lead Instructor may be designated to work directly with specific companies for curriculum development or special projects.
- Performs other appropriate duties as assigned.
- USCG Officer Level License; with experience sailing under his/her highest-level license and similar experience are a plus, may be substituted with equivalent uniformed service experience (NOAA, USCG, USN).
- If not holding a Chief Mate-master’s license, is diligently working towards that certification.
- Degree in Adult Education, Maritime Sciences or related field desired.
- Two years of experience effectively supervising subordinates in a similar environment desired.
- Experience teaching adults professional subjects for minimum of two or more years.
- Experience, training and qualifications required to obtain approval to teach the courses in the field from the U.S. Coast Guard is required.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and related information systems.
- Demonstrated sound judgment and decision-making skills; ability to perform tasks and projects with no guidance. Capable of developing sound, detailed analyses to support actions and/or recommendations.
- Strong interpersonal, writing and communication skills required. Ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Position may require moderate physical activity.
- Position may require some travel, to MITAGS East campus, or other sites and company locations as directed.
For consideration, please submit resume and cover letter to [email protected].