Maritime Institute of Technology & Graduate Studies (MITAGS) and Maritime Conference Center (MCC), Executive Director Eric Friend, announces that MITAGS has begun a search to fill the position of Director of MITAGS.
The Director of MITAGS is a full-time position, reporting directly to the Executive Director, located in Linthicum Heights, Maryland in the Baltimore-Washington corridor. The Director oversees matters related to MITAGS’ Academic Department. The Director will have a supporting Assistant Director, located at MITAGS’ Seattle Campus.
MITAGS Maritime Training Centers are among the leaders in maritime ship simulation for training and operational research. As a non-profit trust, employees make a significant contribution to maritime safety, and work in a dynamic, progressive, technology driven work environment.
The ideal candidate will hold an advanced degree in business or management, education or instructional design and have at least four years management-level experience in an academic and/or financial management environment. First-hand knowledge of maritime industry required.
Desired experience includes experience in curriculum development, classroom delivery, personnel development, and experience as Chief Mate or Master (or military equivalent).
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous employee benefit package including health care for employee and legal dependents with a zero-payroll premium deduction. Employer contribution to and Individual Retire Account Plan. Employee contribution 401K options also available. Generous PTO including Vacation, Sick, Personal and Holidays.
Position details may be found in the body of the job description below.
For consideration, please submit a cover letter with your resume to the MITAGS-MCC Human Resource Manager Jane Sibiski at [email protected].
DIRECTOR OF MITAGS
This is a managerial position at the East Coast Campus, located in Linthicum Heights, Maryland, and is accountable and responsible for the daily administration and operation of MITAGS. The Director is responsible for the budget and quality control of MITAGS. The Director will also support and supervise the Assistant Director of MITAGS with the activities of the West Coast Campus. The Director supervises the instructors, academic staff, and Department Chairs as well as assists other Directors and responds to the Executive Director.
Reports directly to the Executive Director.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the day-to-day administration and operations of the East Coast Campus, and in the absence of the Assistant Director of MITAGS, West Coast Campus as well. This includes the simulators, simulation systems and simulation team members.
- Reviews, maintains, tracks, and applies financial and human resources as needed to day-to-day academic activities for both campuses.
- Supervises instructional staff. Director is responsible for ensuring quality instructors that deliver quality instruction. Provides counseling, guidance, and discipline, if required, in accordance with the Collective Bargaining Agreements with the International Organization of Masters, Mates and Pilots, and enforces the terms of the MITAGS Policy Manuals. Coordinates personnel actions with MITAGS’ Human Resources Manager and the Executive Director.
- Acts as primary MITAGS representative to regulatory bodies, and outside stakeholders, including USCG, MARAD, SOCP, MMP and other industry groups.
- Attends meetings and conferences, acting as the representative of the Academic Department and MITAGS.
- Develops, establishes, and maintains the cost analysis and cost control procedures for MITAGS.
- Creates and coordinates the Academic Training Schedule including the assigning of personnel and resources.
- Serves as offsite training coordinator and will liaise between instructors, staff, and customers.
- Assist the business development and sales team in the solicitation, analysis, pricing and writing of contracts to include the response to Statements of Work, Request for Proposals, and other solicitations from outside activities and individuals.
- Advises the Executive Director on the fiduciary and financial position and responsibilities of the Academic Department.
- Performs liaison and assists members of other departments within the MITAGS-Maritime Conference Center organization.
- Provides sound recommendations, analyses and advice to the Executive Director, Chief Financial Officer, and the Assistant Director of MITAGS regarding finances and utilization of resources.
- Acts as a management representative, ensuring the Quality Standards Systems standards are implemented and maintained, and that the Executive Director is advised of the performance of the system.
- Performs other tasks as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Advanced degree in Business Administration, Education or Instructional Design required; four years management-level experience in an academic and/or financial management environment. Experience in curriculum development, classroom delivery, personnel development desired.
- First-hand knowledge of maritime industry required. Experience sailing as Chief Mate or Master (or military equivalent) is a bonus.
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Word Suite and related automated information systems as well as CRM systems, website coding. Knowledge of accounting; ability to use accounting systems is a bonus.
- Demonstrated sound judgment and decision-making skills; ability to perform tasks and projects with minimum or no guidance. Capable of developing sound, detailed analyses to support actions and/or recommendations.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills required. Ability to work effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Ability to complete fire training and basic CPR course.
- Requires moderate physical activity.
- Travel between both campuses required; approximately 20%.